Advising Fellowship Manager
New York City, New York
Matriculate’s mission is to empower high-achieving high school students from low-income backgrounds to make the leap to our nation’s top colleges. Our vision is that one day all the best students in America will have access to and be supported at top colleges—regardless of their income or background—which will give them a unique opportunity to change the trajectory of their lives and the lives of their families.
Matriculate empowers teams of undergraduates to provide free virtual
college advising to high-achieving high school juniors and seniors from low-income backgrounds. Equipped with more than 50 hours of training, undergraduate Advising Fellows provide the information, guidance, and support that these high school students need to apply to, gain admission at, and excel in the best institutions. Matriculate is working to build an America in which all talented students have a fair shot at top colleges and universities long reserved primarily for the elite.
Matriculate is a founding partner of Bloomberg Philanthropies' college access and success initiative called CollegePoint, which aims to help as many as 65,000 students to apply to, enroll in, and graduate from the best colleges and universities.
Matriculate seeks an exceptional leader to join our multicultural and diverse team as Advising Fellowship Manager to ensure our college student advisors (Advising Fellows) thrive and ensure our high school students (High School Fellows) navigate the college application, enrollment and transition process strategically and successfully. The manager reports to the Chief Program Officer while working closely with the program design team and the rest of the Matriculate team.
Oversee the implementation, measurement, and continuous improvement of high-quality programming
Build, manage, and develop a team of Campus Leads that is goal-oriented and committed to high-performance and professional growth.
- Ensure college Advising Fellows (AFs) across all campuses meet Matriculate’s impact goals for quality of advising, engagement, satisfaction, pipeline, and retention.
- Collect, analyze, interpret, and report program data on an ongoing basis, enabling and promoting a culture of learning and continuous improvement.
- Manage AF campus budget and guide resource allocation decisions to achieve program goals.
- Model and institutionalize prioritizing student outcomes and fostering a culture of rigor, knowledge, transparency, and improvement.
- Implement program learning and evaluation plan to ensure continuous improvement and to understand Matriculate’s ultimate impact.
- Conduct outreach directly to AFs and HSFs to understand their needs and experience. Monitor quality of High School Fellow (HSF) advising experience; devise and implement strategies to increase HSF retention.
- Travel regularly to campuses across the country to connect with students, assess and coach team members and to observe program in action. Oversee at least one college site directly.
- Leverage advising stories to communicate impact internally and externally.
Develop, cultivate, and deepen institutional partnerships with colleges, universities, and other partner organizations
- Design, implement and directly manage a new type of staff team: a combination of permanent staff and a post-grad fellowship with campus oversight responsibilities.
- Recruit, select, train, develop, coach, and retain high-performance team members.
- Seek out and design professional development offerings, empowering staff to elevate their level of responsibility and performance.
- Lead team to develop a results-oriented mindset and user-focused approach with the goal of fostering undergraduate voice and leadership at all levels of Matriculate.
- Implement internal systems and processes to drive efficiency, effectiveness, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Oversee ongoing AF management with a focus on advising experience, program quality and implementation.
Contribute to overall organizational innovation, growth, and evolution
- Identify and maintain a pipeline of potential college partners.
- Generate materials to promote partnerships and report out to existing partners.
- Build relationships and maintain regular communications with existing partners.
- Track and support partnership progress including developing agreements, budgets and invoicing.
- Ensure partners are engaged and recognized.
WHO YOU ARE
- Be/become an expert in the college access landscape
- Collaborate across the Matriculate program to ensure maximum consistencies and efficiencies
- Identify and troubleshoot challenges as they arise
- Contribute to Matriculate’s culture of continuous improvement
The Advising Fellowship Manager will embody Matriculate’s values and a commitment to high-quality student experience. Specifically, you bring:
- CONNECTION TO MISSION: A heartfelt connection to empowering high-achieving high school students from low-income backgrounds to make the leap to our best colleges.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: At least 3 year of professional experience managing both people and programs at an education, youth development, or similar organization. Experience in college access/success programming is a plus.
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT: Cultivates talent and builds strong teams. Provides a tailored amount of guidance to individuals. Supports staff to further leverage their strengths and grow their skills and mindsets. Drives high-performance of teams and individuals. Holds others accountable to goals.
- PROGRAM DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION: Casts vision for programmatic direction and designs detailed plans for tactical execution. Identifies, prioritizes, and manages to a set of goals and progress indicators. Translates strategy into tangible activities and results.
- STRATEGIC THINKING: Holds the “big picture” and leverages data in formulating strategies and making decisions. Approaches situations through multiple factors and looks for trends and connections when setting a course of action.
- EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATIONS: Conveys information clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. Listens well and reflects an understanding of others’ perspectives.
- ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS: Excellent attention to detail with the ability to see projects through from start to finish. Stays focused on execution to reach stated goals.
- INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Builds, manages and leverages relationships with diverse groups and with a proven track record of flexibility and influence.
- INITIATIVE AND SELF-DEVELOPMENT: High degree of personal initiative in problem solving, commitment to constantly learning, growing, and reflecting on their work
- VALUES-ALIGNMENT: Thrives in a work environment that values continuous learning, feedback, personal growth, integrity, well-being and self-care, self-awareness and self-motivation. Interest in joining an entrepreneurial, fast-paced and growing organization.
WORK TRAVEL AND LOCATION
- TECHNOLOGY SKILLS: Command of MS office suite and remote communications methods. Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- EDUCATION: A bachelor’s degree is required.
This position works out of Matriculate’s office in Lower Manhattan in NYC. Applicants must be able to travel to urban and rural communities up to 25% of time, as well as occasional nights and weekend as needed
Matriculate offers a comprehensive benefits package.
OUR DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION (DEI) PHILOSOPHY
Matriculate is committed to partnering with communities of staff, high school students, and undergraduate Advising Fellows to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We seek team members who will be active contributors to advancing and sustaining a culture in which all lived experiences are welcome.
HOW TO APPLY
Click the Apply Now
button above to submit a resume and targeted cover letter that answers the question, "Why are you interested in the Advising Fellowship Manager position at Matriculate?" Please address your cover letter to Rebecca Wasserman, Vice President of Programs. We review applications on a rolling basis and strive to get back to applicants within two weeks.
Matriculate is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. Matriculate does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.
Matriculate has retained Dana Hagenbuch Search
to lead the search for a Student Experience Program Associate. Dana Hagenbuch Search partners with nonprofits and mission-driven organizations to recruit and hire extraordinary people. Learn more at www.dhsearch.net